Monday 1 October 2007

Good News From Australia

.
To the Editor of the Bicester Herald

Sir,

The following letter addressed to myself and Mr Thomas Savin, of Launton, from the village formed by a portion of my late flock, who were assisted by me to emigrate to Australia about six or seven years back, will interest many in your town and neighbourhood.

Muddy Creek, Hamilton, 10th August 1860

My Dear Brothers

I write to inform you that I had your letter on the 18th of June. I hope this will find you all well, as it leaves us at present. Give my love to all my brothers and sisiters, and tell them I have purchased 51 acres of land, freehold property, I have got the deed in my box. I gave John Freeman, one hundred pounds for his share. He has bought another piece, 24 acres. I have ploughed 33 acres. I have sown 25 of wheat, and 8 of oats and the rest is grass. It is all fenced in. A good home I have got thank God. It is a fine country. I never felt better in my life

We have, at the Chapel, which we have built, on Sunday, preaching in the morning and afternoon, and a prayer meeting at night; and school for the children, one hour and a half in the morning and afternoon. My son John is married. He is a carter, and earns a good bit of money- £3 or £4 a week. His team and dray are worth £100, and he has got money in the bank. He is going to buy a farm when the bill is passed at £1 per acre.

My daughter Mary and her husband, have 120 acres of good land of their own, freehold property. My son Wiliam is working for them, for 30s. per week, and his grub; £3 a week in harvest and his grub. What do you think of that ? Tell Launton young men of that, they will say, "We don't believe it is true." Tell Mr John Fenemore I have a good farm. I sow one bushel and a half of wheat to the acre, and two bushels of oats, and it grows as high as my head, and then we reap it. Tell John Shirley and John Young I ave found Australia better than all the books told me. I have a goodfarm, and had 4000 bushels of oats last year.

My dear brother, I have made my fortune ! but if I had stopped in Launton, I should have been starved to death. The longest day is the 21st of December, and the shortest 21st of June; harvest in January. When the snow is on the ground at Launton, tell them your brother is carrying his corn. I have had four crops of wheat off my land, besides stubble every year.

No more, at present, from your affectionate brother,

Samuel Savin


Source: Bicester Herald 23 Nov 1860

No comments: